Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Blog Post #4: Museum of the Moving Image


Museum of the Moving Image: ADR


 Visiting the Museum of the Moving Image with my classmates was truly a great experience. Although I felt the tour was quick, I was able to discover new things (that are actually very old and have been in the media/film business for a very long time) that I never knew about. I saw the different types of projectors that were created in the late 1800s all the way to the present time (a timeline from past-present), and I saw how video flip-books are processed (which I truly enjoyed making and learning about them. But overall my favorite part of the museum that made me laugh and really want to understand more about that I didn't know about was ... the ADR Interactive in Behind the Screen section of the museum. 

 ADR stands for "Automated" "Automatic" Dialog Replacement also known as "looping". ADR is a process of re-recording dialogue in the studio in synchronization with the picture being projected on a screen. There are three roles in the ADR process: the actor, the recording engineer, and the sound editor. The actor has to recreate his/her performance and perfectly match up his/her speech to that of the film. The recording engineer has to recreate acoustic spaces so that it doesn't sound like an actor is in a recording studio. The sound editor has to pick and choose the best parts of multiple takes, combine them into one composite clop, and keep everything synchronized to the picture. Inside the booth in which a couple of my classmates and I were in has a microphone, preamp/interface, headphones, sound proof foam, and a video monitor. There usually is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) but the booth really only showed a bit to understand the process and behind the scenes in a ADR station.

Every time I would watch my favorite animated movies or shows, I would look up to see people project their voices behind the scenes speaking into their microphone and act while they were recording their voices. I would love to be the actress for a character's voice one day, it definitely seems pretty tedious but something I would enjoy doing. 

The question how have the changes in the moving image technology changed the way moving images are created, how they look, and how we experience them? Well to begin with after seeing how things were projected, animated, produced etc etc, it was very much complicated and a lot of work back then. As time passed, from films looking grainy, black, white, and grey to having color and looking crystal clear is a major change! The history of technology has advanced to an era known as the digital world.  The new equipment and narrative techniques are motion pictures that are undergoing a revolution that is transforming how we look at movies and what movies look like. Technologies progressiveness has hopped, skipped, and jumped to watching movies on an iPad.  It makes it easier for everyone to capture films and feel a part of them to a whole new level.  Overall the moving image in technology may be positive to some and to others a negative change. To be honest I enjoy the moving images past creativity. But it really depends on what makes everyone's life easier and faster.
  
2015 Media 160/ Lab 1 : I will never forget the memories I created with such brilliant and talented personalities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment